Interface Uganda have been supporting Ken (the sole physiotherapist) at Kagando hospital for the past 2 years, by funding newly qualified physiotherapists to help him (2 x 3 month placements). In November, Interface funded the transport and accommodation costs for Christine Tusiime (head of therapy at CoRSU hospital) to help Ken, and evaluate the therapy services at Kagando. She wrote an excellent and detailed report, with some great recommendations of how Ken can improve his services to patients in a rural hospital setting. She had a packed week, assessing and treating a variety of patients in a variety of settings, as well as offering advice from her managerial expertise. Interface will now liase with Ken to prioritise the recommendations from Christine’s report to see how we can continue to support him.
Some of the recommendations
in her report include:
- Employ a second PT or PT Assistant (nurse) depending on funding, hospital priorities and goals.
- Consider having PT/OT students on clinical placement.
- The department requires colourful and musical toys to be used during Therapy as these are mainly used for stimulating the children and at times to distract the children.
- Consider having PT referral forms on the wards as the current PT cannot attend all ward rounds as he is alone.
- Department should continue to maintain an inventory for therapy equipment/resource. This makes it easier to prioritise needs and to fundraise.
- Consider re-organising the available space such as re-organising the office space (smaller table, more shelves).
- Hospital purchasing braces and splints and selling to patients at a minimal profit. In addition, consider acquiring assistive devices or appliances to be lent to the patients or to be used at the department during Therapy. This will ensure that the PT can treat many patients concurrently.
- Consider creating a therapy playground outside the section using locally available material. This can particularly be used for patients with hand impairments and play therapy is the best form of therapy for children as it also stimulates mental capabilities and social skills.
- Consider having patient/caregiver health talks about the role of physiotherapy and the scope of treatment.
- Consider having accommodation facilities at the hospital for patients who require ONLY rehabilitation services.
- Design Therapy department/ Rehabilitation program that sets Kagando apart from the competition.